Due to the accidents caused by over speeding, corporate fleet businesses and insurance companies suffer from huge losses in most of the countries globally. This can often lead to a loss in productivity, reduction in revenue, paying insurance costs (if it’s the driver’s fault), as well as medical and collateral damage costs. To help resolve this major concern, here at Teltonika Telematics we have developed and manufactured a unique GPS tracker with the speed limiter feature.
Speeding is one of the most commonly reported factors associated with crashes, yet, few drivers view speeding as an immediate risk to their safety. As motorists often deal with numerous distractions and fast-paced traffic while driving, many find it easy to exceed the speed limit. However, speeding greatly and inevitably increases the risk of causing a crash that may result in a serious injury or death, road infrastructure damage, cargo loss or all of above.
There are over 30,000 people killed on U.S. roads alone annually, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration statistics. Overall, about a third of all fatalities on the roads are due to speeding and aggressive or sporty driving style. In short, people generally prefer to drive faster than is safe and speeding remains the number one vehicle accident problem worldwide.
When it comes down to the question of responsibility, the driver – corporate or private, novice or experienced – is personally responsible for the speeding offences. But a wise employer and business owner, insurance agent or corporate fleet management should ensure they have covered themselves to reduce risk. When drivers learn to stay clear of aggressive driving behaviour, they help protect the safety of road users and the fleet, including employees, vehicles, and any cargo being hauled, and minimize a danger of losing a driving license.
Globally, vehicle accidents cost employers around $60 billion each year in legal and medical expenses, property damage, and lost employee productivity. Which begs the question – do you have a fleet driver over speeding problem solution in place to protect your company’s employees, fleet assets, and financial resources? If no, this is a case for you.
Utilizing a modern and comprehensive GPS tracking method allows you to monitor driver (including novice) behaviour, improve safety, and reduce the fleet running costs and legal liability. And that is where Teltonika MSP500 tracker-speed limiter comes into the play.
Many countries of the world have regulations for speed-limiting in commercial vehicles. As of today, some of them have already made it mandatory to install speed limiters, also known as speed governors, while other countries are announcing that speed limiters will be mandatory for all commercial vehicles in upcoming years. So, the demand for this solution is indisputable and the market is growing constantly.
So, what is MSP500 and how exactly it solves such a common speeding problem?
Teltonika MSP500 is a special tracking terminal with GNSS/GSM/Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, internal GNSS/GSM antennas, RS232 interface, internal Ni-Mh battery, and waterproof IP65 casing. The device has been specifically designed with the key feature – speed limiting control – in mind and based on Teltonika FMB product family platform.
Going further, the model contains an integrated buzzer and relay for a speed-limiting functionality based on a limiting fuel supply or the accelerator pedal control using an additional electronic throttle controller.
The actual vehicle speed could be detected using one of the three available methods – speedometer data via pulse counter, GNSS signal or OBD device data via Bluetooth. The required speed settings can be set in the Teltonika configurator.
For the sake of example, let’s say, the speed limit is set to 90 km/h. When the vehicle speed reaches 85 km/h (5% lower than the set speed limit), the driver receives a buzzer signal to alert him/her.
If the driver reaches the set speed limit of 90 km/h and continues accelerating, the electrically operated relay will be switched ON automatically and will trigger one of the possible speed-limiting options:
- The electronic throttle controller, which controls the accelerator pedal, will temporarily deactivate the accelerator pedal. As a result, vehicle speed will gradually slow down under 90 km/h and the relay will be switched OFF.
- The solenoid will be activated and reduce fuel supply to the engine until the vehicle speed throttles down under 90 km/h and the relay will be switched OFF.
Furthermore, the MSP500 model, like all Teltonika Telematics GPS trackers, is equipped with Green Driving, Jamming detection, GNSS Fuel Counter, Excessive Idling detection, Unplug detection, Towing detection, Crash detection, Auto Geofence, Manual Geofence, Trip detection features, which can be utilized in a combination with the speed limiter feature making it a truly comprehensive all-in-one solution for any type of fleet.
Additionally, MSP500 has a Limp mode feature. When the pulse counter (i.e. speed source) is disconnected, Limp mode is activated and vehicle speed will be limited to the configured Limp mode maximum speed (e.g. 30 km/h). The most common applications for this GPS tracker are courier delivery services, logistics, local and international cargo forwarders, and taxi fleets.
- Over speeding quick fix for good – the most common and widely spread speeding problem is resolved at once and for all with a minimum effort and maximum results.
- Extensive functionality to serve your needs – highly advanced, configurable and efficient speed limiting solution. The rich set of features can be utilised in a combination with speed limiter functionality making it a truly comprehensive all-in-one solution for any fleet.
- Improves drivers’ discipline and time efficiency – great assistance for novice drivers and seasoned professionals helping to stay safe and perform daily tasks with the least waste of time.
- Lower expenses, higher profits – by preventing traffic accidents, speed tickets, delays, casualties, and insurance cost rise, this tracker very likely will improve fleet operational cost, company cash flow, and ROI.
- Various fleets, one solution – suitable for all sorts of fleets and logistic businesses including freight forwarders, carriers, international and domestic couriers, 3rd party logistic service providers, livestock transportation, luxury and executive class fleets, etc.
Having over 10 million devices successfully deployed, the undeniable benefits and reliability of Teltonika GPS trackers are appreciated by thousands of drivers and business owners every single day in over 160 countries around the world.
Many industries in a variety of markets will find speed limiter usage scenarios handy and cost-effective, including insurance, rental, leasing, delivery services, taxi and car-sharing services, telecoms, utility service providers, luxury fleet owners and so on. The GPS tracker MSP500 is a smart choice for most companies and organisations using light commercial vehicles, trucks, passenger cars, buses, coaches and more.